There's nothing more romantic and special than getting married in Mauritius. We'll take care of all the details. To find out more about our amazing packages call World Leisure Holidays on 087 351 6497
Weddings in Mauritius – what you need to know.
Once you have decided to get married in Mauritius, the best option is to book yourself into a resort that has experience of hosting wedding packages. There are any many quality hotels that offer superb deals for romantic couples.
Try a relaxing spa before the big day
Most resorts offer his and hers pre- and post-wedding treatments. Pamper yourselves with facials, steam baths, massage and aromatherapy, to name a few of the treatments available that will enhance your special occasion. Most hotels will arrange hair and make-up and prepare a trial session before your big day.
Whichever resort you choose, ensure there is a coordinator on hand to help you organise your dream wedding. They will give you invaluable advice, find the right location and even choose the best time of day. You want your time in Mauritius to be as carefree as possible. That’s the whole point of getting married in Mauritius: you can leave your worries at the airport check-in.
The best months to get married in Mauritius
Mauritius enjoys average yearly temperatures of 23 degrees – you can see why this island frequently rates in the top 5 beach-wedding locations.
October is one of the best months of the year to get married in Mauritius. It has the lowest rainfall figures and pretty-near perfect temperatures – plus the highest sunlight figures.
May is also an attractive option. It’s a pleasant month at the tail-end of a hot summer season and the beginning of the Mauritian winter. Although temperatures are beginning to cool, it’s still a warm enough to make for a special day.
The cyclone / rainy season runs generally between January to March, with high humidity, so rather choose cotton and silk garments, and try to avoid lace if possible – sand and lace do not mix.
July and August are not good wedding months. This is when the south-easterly trade winds blow strongest, lowering temperatures and playing havoc with wedding photography.
Ten things to consider
- Check to make sure yours is the only wedding happening on your resort on that day.
- Do not rush the process. You need at least 6 weeks to organise a wedding in Mauritius.
- The Mauritian authorities require couples to have their birth certificates re-issued and dated within 3 months of your wedding date.
- All weddings in Mauritius will be conducted in English, unless previously requested.
- Your wedding will be legal back home.
- If you have been divorced for longer than 10 months, you will need a copy of your divorce papers.
- Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required by law and can be arranged for you upon request.
- Always arrange travel and medical insurance to cope with life’s unexpected occurrences. Do not leave anything to chance.
- Take the weather into account! October is the best month in Mauritius because it has the lowest rainfall figures and almost perfect temperatures. Avoid July to August, which is when the cool south-easterly trade winds blow strongest.
- Just because you are getting married in Mauritius, you don’t have to get married on the beach. You can be married in a church as well as by civil registrar. Remember that your resort will also have several specific locations on hand for you to choose from, whether manicured green lawns in botanical gardens or a sumptuous interior location within the hotel. These are great alternatives, because sand plays havoc with lace wedding dresses and that windswept look doesn’t appeal to everybody.
MAURITIUS Legal Requirements
- Two copies of each of the following documents are required from you 2 months before you depart:
- Copies of birth certificates dated within 3 months of your wedding date.
- Copies of passports.
- Decree absolute (if divorced).
- Deed Poll (if a change of name has occurred).
- Death Certificate and previous marriage certificate if widowed.
- Non-English documentation must be translated into English and duly stamped.
- You will also need to take 2 passport photos each with you to Mauritius.
Finally, enjoy your preparations for your dream wedding in Mauritius. This is a once-in-a-lifetime occasion that will provide you with wonderful memories you will never forget. Here’s wishing you both a long life full of love and happiness.